Saturday, April 18, 2015

reinforcements for Rohan!

I have almost completed the figures I have for the Riders of Rohan.  This week has seen me beavering away at the remainder and all I have left is a few riders and a couple of characters but I have to confess to being a little 'Rohaned out'!  Probably a good thing that they are almost done. :)
This week I have completed 6 more riders and 8 foot warriors.  The bases are still grassless but at least my order has been dispatched and I am expecting it early this week - fingers crossed!
These first 3 riders have different horse colours but the same shield colour - white design on a red shield.  I have to confess that I am always concerned at the strength of a horse model that only has one point of contact on the base and that seems to be common in these riders.

 The second three have red shields with yellow designs,again with a variety of horse colours.

 All six together.
 The foot warriors are a mixture of bow and melee armed weapons.  Nice and easy to paint.
 Again grouped by shield colour combination.  Geen shield, yellow design.
 Green shield, white design.
 I think that en mass, they will look quite varied and irregular.
 A group shot of the foot warriors.
 And a shot of this weeks output!
 So this is how far I have got with Rohan - it is coming along well, and with the addition of the few bits I have underway, it should be quite a usable faction.
 Eowyn is still in command and that is something I need to address at some point with the addition of more character models.

So now I come to the notion of when do I stop a faction and move on to others?  It is certainly large enough to use in a skirmish game against the Uruk Hai I have but not big enough for the impressive cavalry charge I have in my minds eye!!  In the games workshop version of Middle Earth there are many other factions that I would like to collect and so I am wondering now whether it is time to move on and begin something else.  I am expecting some reinforcements for my Uruk Hai any day now (same order as the static grass!) and after that I am moving on to a different bad guy faction so maybe I need to think about the addition of some elves or dwarves.  I am not doing Gondor for a while as the thought of all that silver and black leaves me a bit cold - however from very young I loved the swan knights of dol amroth and my most loved D and D character who, over several years gaming in my teens, I took all the way to 18th+ level was called Imrahil!  Maybe I will end up doing the provinces before the main city!  Ahh well, we shall just have to wait and see.  It will probably be just as much a surprise to me as it will to you which way I go next.
Anyway, enough ramblings from me -  I have to get ready for school tomorrow.  I expect that my painting output is about to nosedive!!!!!

15 comments:

  1. That's a nice force; each figure is distinct but the force as a whole is coherent. Are the shields freehand? Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C6, Luckily I have a large collection of brown and green paints!! The shields are embossed designs that I have coloured in :) Can't claim any great talent there, I'm afraid.... Am pleased with how they look though:)

      Delete
  2. This has been a wonderful run of postings CW, so I hope the return of the school doesn't impact too much. Great work on the Rohan and I especially like the cavalry. Really looking forward to seeing which force you turn your terrific painting skills on next :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blax but I think you overstate my skill! I am pleased how they are turning out though. I have another 6 cavalry being painted and then we shall see what I feel like doing next. I am looking at doing some nice GW style scenery which would make a nice change of pace for a while but am reluctant to stop painting while my brush is running hot......:)

      Delete
  3. Nice! I really like the different shields for the different factions. The upcoming Dragon Rampant would probably work well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just been reading about the rules - they certainly will be worth a look. By the time they are released in december I am hoping to have a better collection to use.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking models and the horses looks great to.... i have trubble to paint horses and i hate doing it to.
    Great looking Rohan force :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hobbyworker. I have to say I don't mind doing horses - they can be quite quick to paint. I found the (small) section on painting horses in kevin Dallimores painting book very useful. His two books are full of useful stuff for me - very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking force CW! I do like your painting on the horses. Time to ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob. I think I am going to be fighting a battle against my inherent megalomania with this project as if 12 riders look good, 50 will look better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job dude! As already mentioned the shields stand out and the force as whole looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I have enjoyed painting them and the fact that they look ok is a bonus! The fact that the shields are embossed does help a lot with their painting.

      Delete
  9. Some top painting, love those shields!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bennett Winch è un produttore inglese di fake rolex uk pelletteria che recentemente ha iniziato a produrre quello che ritiene il rotolo di stoccaggio per orologi fake watches uk migliore della sua categoria. "The Watch Roll" è il semplice nome del marchio per una categoria best replica watches sites to buy from non così semplice di prodotti per la conservazione degli orologi da polso. Questa versione costa $ 785 USD ma arriva con un'esperienza che replica watches uk paypal lascia poco a desiderare.
    I "rotoli di orologi" tendono ad essere una vasta categoria bast replica watches uk review di custodie per orologi in pelle o tessuto che in genere si fissano tra tre e sei orologi. Una volta michael kors replica watches che gli orologi sono fissati in una certa forma, l'intero assemblaggio si arrotola o si avvolge attorno ad replica watches uk trusted deaiers esso. Questi rappresentano una percentuale molto grande dei contenitori per la conservazione degli orologi, in fake Breitling particolare a scopo di viaggio o di trasporto, utilizzati sia dai consumatori di orologi da polso fake Omega che dai professionisti del settore degli orologi.

    ReplyDelete

  11. That’s really nice blog , Thanks for shareing .
    Text To Speech Or Speech To Text Listen to your documents, texts and notes anywhere any time by using the most robust Text to speech converter. Multilingual speech-to-text aimed at assisting you with transcription of any type of documents, notes, reports, blog posts, etc by using your voice.Text to speech and Speech to Text can be a way of boosting communication connections, meeting people where ever they are.For more visit here
    voice-over

    ReplyDelete